Glauchau is a town in Saxony in the eastern part of Germany. It is situated on the right side of the river Mulde, 7 miles north of Zwickau and 17 miles west of Chemnitz. The next larger cities are Dresden and Leipzig about 70 miles distance. Its population is about 25,000.
Glauchau developed from a Slavic fishing village in the late 12th century. It became industrialized in the 16th to 18th century. During this time the reconstruction of castle Hinterglauchau and Forderglauchau took place. In 1730 the well-known Silbermann Organ was dedicated in the St.George Church and it is still in use today to the enjoyment of its citizen and many visitors. It was the beloved instrument of J.S.Bach.
In 2002 the town had some serious hardship caused by a century type flood of the river Mulde. The Bismarck Tower, a famous historical landmark of Glauchau, celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2010. Another important event will be the upcoming 150th anniversary of the Volunteer Fire Department in May of 2013. It was constituted in 1863 by members of the athletic club.
The larger district around Glauchau is an Innovative and Cultural Resource Center in Saxony. The development from a textile town to a promising location for the automobile and other industries has been made possible thanks to optimal, high standard infrastructure and logistic. The district of Glauchau was confirmed as a site for the construction of transport center (FTC) in southwest Saxony.
Glauchau is an important educational center of the district of Zwickau. It offers an extensive and diverse activities program, ranging from infant to adult education, with 5 Elementary Schools, 2 Middle Schools and 1 High School.
With the Castle Museum and Art collection, the Library and the Gallery Glauchau is becoming increasingly a place of sophisticated cultural events. Open-Air concerts and concerts on the Silbermann Organ of St. Georgen Church make this old but young at heart city very attractive.
Please check out Glauchau Websites for more information: